Public bug reported:

Precise 32-Bit

This is a UX bug.
By default Thunderbird sorts all folders (Inbox...) by 'date-ascending'. This
results in one big problem: new mails are always at the bottom of the Inbox =
when having ~2,000 mails you have to scroll down pretty long to see your new
mails.

Thunderbird is the only mail client I know that does sort mails by
'date-ascending' and I think this is a big negative point because
Thunderbird acts in a way the user is not expecting.

I support an elderly man using his computer and having new mails at the
bottom was very confusing form him. Most average people I know never
configurate the programs they're using and therefore I don't think that
they would have found 'View > Sort by > Descending'

Suggestion:
Change the default view from 'date-ascending' to 'date-descending'

** Affects: ayatana-design

** Affects: thunderbird

** Tags: precise thunderbird ux

** Package changed: thunderbird (Ubuntu) => ayatana-design

** Also affects: thunderbird

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  mails should be sorted by 'date-descending'

Status in Ayatana Design:
  New
Status in Mozilla Thunderbird Mail and News: