please reopen if this issue still exists in Ubuntu 12.04

** Changed in: ubuntu-indicator-mods

** Changed in: network-manager-applet (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to network-manager-applet in Ubuntu.

  User-defined connection names don't appear as choices in drop-down
  menu

Status in Ubuntu network, Bluetooth, keyboard menus:
  Incomplete
Status in “network-manager-applet” package in Ubuntu:

  In the "Network Connections" dialog it is possible for me to set my
  own custom "Connection Names". One set, networks appear using these
  names in the Network Connections dialog.

  Now, I click on the nm tray applet and it shows me a list of networks,
  but the networks are named based on their SSID's - not based on the
  names that I've supposedly given them!

  This can be very frustrating if you live in a place where everyone's
  network is named "linksys".

  Insofar as this presents the user with potentially confusing or
  ambiguous connection options it allows an attacker to set up their own
  network mirroring the existing network's SSID and thus encourage
  illegitimate connections. Presenting the user's own defined names is
  one way of avoiding this (especially if these were say, italicized, to
  better show that they are trusted networks).

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386
  CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory