Hi,

I did not have this problem after upgrading to 11.10 but after some time it
appeared. The solution for me was simple. The Session Management plugin in
Compiz -> Utilities was switched on. I just switched it off and the problem
gone.
Again Compiz...
Hope it will help to the others.

Success!

  shutdown screen stuck after upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10

Status in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  After the update from 11.04 to 11.10: when I shut down the pc sometimes it
goes back to the login screen and then I have to do shutdown there which works
well then.
  Sometimes the pc shuts down but ends with the ubuntu splash screen and gets
stuck there.
  The issue may be driver related: I use the AMD/ATI FGLRX graphics driver.
  I have a second pc where I also did the update to 11.10 and there I have no
problem at all but I don't use the above driver but the NVIDIA graphics driver.
  Both pc's have Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit.