On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 09:40:21AM +0100, Graham Leggett via dev wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The attached patch is a current work in progress patch for httpd-trunk to use
> the new apr_ldap API that just landing in APR.
>
> The highlights:
>
> - Complete replacement of the previous API.
> - Will work against apr-2 (just landed) and apr-util-1.7 (after backport).
> - Linking to the underlying LDAP API has been removed and is no longer needed.

This design decision seems surprising to me, what does this add? Adding
another abstraction layer to allow runtime selection of the LDAP library
seems like a step backwards (a lot of complexity with no benefit).
Unlike with e.g. a database backend selection users don't care about
picking/configuring among many LDAP libraries.

Regards, Joe