> (Well, "errare humanum est: "I would understand that ConTeXt generates
> an error from time to time, but not that it's lying about it with
> "Output written on smalltest.pdf" :)

  It's actually XeTeX's fault: it doesn't take the return status of
xdvipdfmx into account and says “Output written to ...” whatever the
result of xdvipdfmx; you may remember Jonathan explained that to the
XeTeX list.

  I have no idea if this is now fixed in XeTeX.

  As for the other problem you reported this afternoon (Metapost is not
run when using \startMPcode in a XeTeX file), I'm now certain the
general problem is the same: because ConTeXt tries hard to find some
fonts (\xetextempfont), it generates errors in \batchmode, so the XeTeX
run exits with a non-zero return code, and TeXExec thinks the
compilation has failed, so it doesn't try to run Metapost as it should;
I have made tests with a late July version on my computer where all this
doesn't happen (2007.07.25 12:35).

  I guess it's time for the ConTeXt developers to start over that little
discussion we had with the XeTeX developer(s) :-)

        Arthur