HI Hans!

On Mi, 03 Okt 2007, Hans Hagen wrote:
> >database for luatex. But it is placed NOT alongside the ls-R files,
> >right?
>
> well, "TEXMFSHARECACHE=yes" makes sure that it is put in the same path
> as the ls-r file

Ah, ok, that is with the new context you created today. No, didn't test
this till now ;-) First I guess I need an updated luatex you said.

> no, not the trees, but if one uses a font, say lmroman10-regular.otf,
> then the 'converterd/prepared/whatever' datatable is cached so only that
> file ends up in the cache (flat structure, so, when one needs
> lmroman10-regular.otf, i first look in the cache (no database needed)
> for a tmc/a file, if not present i generate one, using the otf file from
> the normal tree, looked up in a kpse like way)
[...]
> >- preprocessed font data cache so that loading the stuff is done faster
>
> indeed, only at runtime, so normally in the users path someplace

Hmm, I still don't get it. In all this processing, is there a job
depending thing contained? I thought extracting all those tables etc can
be done independently of all jobs (and will help all jobs).

Anyway, I got it. So this is not a bad thing at all to have this stuff
generated at job running time, so we (integrators) don't have to worry
about it.

Only finding all the files is important for a start, so ls-R
replacement.

> >$ ls -l ~/luatex-cache/context/f7d1b3c25487ab1e1035aff1c53b90da/formats/
> >-rw-r--r-- 1 norbert norbert 5669003 2007-10-03 14:07 cont-en.fmt
> >-rw-r--r-- 1 norbert norbert   38786 2007-10-03 14:07 cont-en.log
> >-rw-r--r-- 1 norbert norbert  159484 2007-10-03 14:07 cont-en.lua
> >-rw-r--r-- 1 norbert norbert  112438 2007-10-03 14:07 cont-en.luc
> >$
> >
> >So the format is placed in some strange ;-) place under luatex-cache.
>
> hm, also with the new version and the env var set? here it nicely goes
> to texmf-linux/web2c/luatex

Probably an instance of "get the new beta", btw, where do I get it, from
the usual download place? Or is there something else for betas?

> >- formats??? what is saved for this
>
> a cont-en.fmt as well as a cont-en.luc file, the format and it sstub

Yes of course, but what needs to be cached here but the sole information
that the file exist? (ie updating ls-R/cache)

> >But all of this is somehow static. On a normal system a normal user
> >shouldn't have the necessity to change anything of the above. That
> >should be done at install time of the respective stuff.
>
> no, the font cache is not pregenerated at all, think of it like this:
>
> - luatex loads otf font (takes time)
> - provides it as table to mkiv (takes more time)
> - mkiv adds a few things, preprocesses the font a bit
> - then saves it as table (compiled) so that loading goes in an eyeblink

Ok, so after the first processing later jobs will have access to these
tables in a blink. Ok, don't mind. Good for me ;-) No need to worry
about this.

> >Furthermore, the cache could be used (no idea whether this is true) for:
> >- single job caching of data
> >     wouldn't it be better to keep generated files like this in the
> >     cwd, like .aux, etc files
>
> we're talking of megabytes here

Are these megabytes kept and are they useful for later runs? If yes,
then it is ok to put them in a separate cache (I assume the stuff is
useful, it is the font stuff).

> >What was the reason to do the hashing somewhere else but add the md5sums
> >etc for these trees?
>
> lengths of paths and such; i run luatex on the unix web/etc servers and
> have multiple trees in parallel, so now i can with one variable changed
> access all data;
>
> /temp/luatex/context/<treeroot>/whatever
>

> /temp/luatex/context/c:/blabla/tex/blabla/whatever
>

> does not work that well, so i hash the treeroot

Hmm, but if the caches would be in TEXMFTREE/lcache/ then the only thing
necessary would be a change of
        TEXMFCNF
referencing other trees.

(Sorry, only trying to understand the details ...)

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Vienna University of Technology
Debian Developer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                         Debian TeX Group
He stood up straight and looked the world squarely in the
fields and hills. To add weight to his words he stuck the
rabbit bone in his hair. He spread his arms out wide. `I
will go mad!' he announced.
                 --- Arthur discovering a way of coping with life on
                 --- Prehistoric Earth.