Hi all,

I am trying to compile the pdftex manual with context 2008.04.11 and
pdftex 1.40.3 (TeX Live 2007 for Debian), and I am getting these errors:

subsection      : 3.2 Compiling
./pdftex-t.tex:867: Missing \endcsname inserted.
<to be read again>
                   \$
\trackedfilename ->\$
                     HOME/pdftex
\setxvalue #1->\expandafter \xdef \csname #1
                                            \endcsname
\dodoreadfile ...setxvalue {fn..\trackedfilename }
                                                  {\readfilename \ifcase \pr...

\dohyphenateword ...ile {#3}\donothing \donothing
                                                  \else #3\fi \else #3\fi }\...

\filename #1->{\tttf \hyphenatedfile {#1}
                                         }
l.867 \filename {\$HOME/pdftex}
                               , on a~\UNIX\ system the following steps are
?

But more interesting some errors from pdftexconfig.tex:
(./pdftex-t-pdftex-t.tmp)
(/etc/texmf/tex/generic/config/pdftexconfig.tex
/etc/texmf/tex/generic/config/pdftexconfig.tex:6: Illegal unit of measure (pt
inserted).
<to be read again>
                   \hskip
\obeyedspace ->\hskip
                      \zeropoint \hbox to \onepoint {}\hskip \zeropoint
l.6 \pdfpagewidth=210
                      true mm
?

and the same for pdfpageheight, pdfhorigin, ... etc etc.

After that it is getting really crazy: context tries to load example.tex
(whatever that may be, in my case something in TEXMFLOCAL):
subsection      : 3.7 Testing the installation
(/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/infbrief/example.tex
/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/infbrief/example.tex:1: Undefined control
sequence.
l.1 \documentclass
                  [a4paper]{infbrief}
?

The very same document worked before (context 2008.01.14 or so) without
any problems.

Am I missing something in the installation?

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Vienna University of Technology
Debian Developer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                         Debian TeX Group