On 04/17/2011 12:47 AM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
On Sun, 17 Apr 2011, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

change, I just wanted to hear from others and maybe I need to find a
good reference to what is not allowed in sh that works in bash.)

The bash user manual:

http://www.faqs.org/docs/bashman/bashref_122.htmlhttp://www.faqs.org/docs/bashman/bashref_122.html

Alan is right that not everyone has bash, but on the other hand, *nobody at all* has the actual /bin/sh from the Unix manual, so finding documentation on what it could and could not do is hard and a little pointless, but the autoconf manual has a rather good chapter on "portable shell scripting":

  http://www.gnu.org/s/hello/manual/autoconf/Portable-Shell.html

Also, since almost all people that have trouble with bash these days seem to be running dash, I would guess this man page is useful:

  http://linux.die.net/man/1/dash

and perhaps you could install a /bin/dash for testing.

Best wishes,
Taco