On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 17:50:33 +0200
Peter Münster <pmli...@free.fr> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 22 2014, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
>
> > Please maintain "août" and do not cede to any pseudo-reforms,
>
> Hi Alan,
>
> Why "pseudo-reform"?

About as elegant as "ped X-ing". In fact, we could suppress all
accentuated characters and stick to ASCII, making UTF-8 unnecessary.
Those ü are notorious for creating all sorts of problems when converting
files between systems. ;-)

> > or use wikipedia as an authoritative reference...
>
> Sorry, this is probably more authoritative:
>
> http://www.academie-francaise.fr/sites/academie-francaise.fr/files/rectifications_1990.pdf

Which gives "acceptable" alternative-spellings, and says that the
circumflex is not mandatory. It does not suggest that août is
incorrect. Furthermore, août remains the reference.

> Anyway, it's not important for me, if you apply the patch or not.
>
> (if "aout" is wrong, then hunspell must be wrong too...)

Depends on which hunspell dictionary you use...

Alan