On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 16:15:33 +0200
Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the \singlebond (as well as the \doublebond and \triplebond) command
> doesn’t produce a symbol when you put a number after it.
>
> \starttext
>
> $ l\singlebond r $\crlf
> $ 1\singlebond 2 $\crlf
> %$ 1\doublebond 2 $\crlf
> %$ 1\triplebond 2 $
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

I am not familiar with $\singlebond$ etc.

In ConTeXt, one can also use a different mechanism (chem-str.mkiv):

\chemical{1,SINGLE,2,DOUBLE,3,TRIPLE,4}

Looking at the result of the above, I find that the spacing of DOUBLE
should be modified (to .25ex rather than .5ex), a question of
aesthetics?

Compare this with a third mechanism (mp-chem.mpiv, drawing a chemical
structure rather than writing an inline chemical formula):

\startchemical
  \chemical[ONE,Z0,SB1,Z1,MOV1,Z1,DB1,MOV1,Z1,TB1,MOV1,Z1] [1,2,3,4]
\stopchemical

Ignore that the horizontal spacing is different, too, for the structure
ONE.

Alan