On 04/04/20 02:42, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
Hi,

when you use extreme tables without a float environment but repeat the header the table always starts on a new page.

%%%% begin example
\starttext

\samplefile{weisman}

\blank

\startxtable[header=repeat,split=repeat]
     \startxtablehead
         \startxrow \startxcell Table head \stopxcell \stopxrow
     \stopxtablehead
     \startxtablebody
        \dorecurse{100}{\startxrow \startxcell Table body \stopxcell \stopxrow}
     \stopxtablebody
\stopxtable

\stoptext
%%%% end example

I use

\starttext

\startxtable [split=repeat,header=repeat,footer=repeat]

    \startbuffer [header]
    \stopbuffer

    \startxtablehead
        \getbuffer [header]
    \stopxtablehead

    \startxtablenext
        \getbuffer [header]
    \stopxtablenext

    \startxtablebody
    \stopxtablebody

    \startxtablefoot
    \stopxtablefoot

\stopxtable

\stoptext

without a float environment, and I do NOT get a spurious page break, so I do not understand what is happening in your sample above. Is it the \break (as you suggest)?

In your example above, why not simply use a float environment:

\startplacetable [location=force,number=no]
    \startxtable
    \stopxtable
\stopplacetable

Supplementary question. How might I produce/impose a page break at a certain point in a long table? Say that I may want to provoke a break before a certain \startxrow...\stopxrow

Thanks

--
Alan