Hi Mark, I'm really down on browser-only password managers. A browser-only password manager is of limited use if it cannot be used to by standalone apps on mobile devices. Like ckarlof said in the referenced bug, password managers are useful when they can be used *everywhere* the users go. On mobile devices, the browser is only one app of many where users must authenticate.

A solution that has deep OS level integration and can be accessed in any app is the ideal, otherwise the password manager is a partial solution that causes frustration can end in bad password practices by the user.

For example, If I introduce my wife to the (theoretical) Firefox password manager that makes it easy for her to sign up to a site with a super strong password but fails to provide her with a mechanism to sign into that site's standalone app, she's not going to be very happy with either Firefox or me and is going to change her password to some easy to remember, easy to type 8 character word she probably uses on another 20 sites.

If our solution had deep OS level integration and is usable by any app, like Keychain or Lastpass, then yes, that's awesome and you can ignore me. Otherwise, meh.

Shane