On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 6:14 PM Nicholas Alexander <nalexan...@mozilla.com>
wrote:

> Hello party people (it's Friday!),
>
> We held a Mobile Tech Leads meeting on Wednesday (NA/EU timezones).  We
> discussed only one topic: how does Storage and Sync fit into the Android
> Components ecosystem.  The discussion was somewhat "at arm's length"
> because we did not have the AU representatives from the Application
> Services team attending.  This discussion is still very active; that's
> mostly why I didn't circulate these notes the very next day.  The broad
> strokes are:
>
>    - The Android Components team wants a flexible approach to data
>    storage for consumers
>    - The Application Services team is bound by the constraints of the
>    existing Sync 1.5 data model
>
> and trying to reconcile these two positions is generating a lot of
> (metaphorical, Google Document) ink.  I'll follow up with more after next
> week's meeting (Oct 3).

Thanks Nick,

I just want to add here what I added at the end of this meeting: I think
the storage discussion becomes more 'real' when we talk about actual use
cases. We have a number of those, like Top Sites, Activity Stream,
Awesomebar.

That moves the discussion away from 'who owns the storage' to 'how do we
implement the things we need' and I think a design will more easily come
out of that. I think it will also become clear then how these two teams
would work together to implement some of these and future application-level
features and how that would technically work.

(Firefox for iOS is a great example where the application uses a
combination of synced data and generated data to implement
application-level features)

 S.