Hello citizens of Rome,

The Android Tech Leads met on March 15 -- the ides of March -- and nobody
got murdered at the
Theatre of Pompey.  Two significant and inter-related topics were discussed:

   1. The transition of Mozilla's Android ecosystem to AndroidX
   <https://developer.android.com/jetpack/androidx>.  AndroidX is the
   successor to the Android support libraries; you might also see it referred
   to as Jetpack (and no, it's not Mozilla's old Jetpack add-on API
   <https://wiki.mozilla.org/Jetpack>).  There's a delicate dance: only
   AndroidX consumers can consume AndroidX libraries, so the entire ecosystem
   must evolve in progression with the consumers going first.  Nobody can get
   all stabby and try to become the next in line, and that means there's a lot
   of coordination across projects to upgrade.  Luckily Android Components is
   almost ready to upgrade
   <https://github.com/mozilla-mobile/android-components/issues/1903>.
   2. The optimal development experience for our Android ecosystem is
to leverage
   Gradle composite builds

<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rkP7fqbugZ4qQ-Uov1ExAFOY0UPqu0zL8whDXC8AK_s/edit>.
   Unfortunately that means we need to use only a single version of the
   Android-Gradle plugin, introducing yet another cross-project coordination
   problem.  As a group we continue to iterate on how to support all the
   different projects and their requirements while getting us closer to the
   best cross-project development experience.  More as we learn it!

Until next week, may Fortuna smile upon you.
Nick

Post scriptum: full notes are here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/13A6BEQa06mtJsqExuxSrfblwM3OS5QEdZJ8K4_x7wUE/edit#heading=h.t0bly8ujfjfo>
.