On 08/16/12 09:23 AM, Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:18 PM, Ben Hearsum <bhear...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>> I don't think this would be any more than a one-time win until the disk
>> fills up. At the start of each job we ensure there's enough space to do
>> the current job. By moving the objdir away we'd avoiding doing any clean
>> up until we need more space than is available. After that, each job
>> would still end up cleaning up roughly one objdir to clean up enough
>> space to run.
>
> Why can't you move it, then spawn a background thread to remove it at
> minimum priority?  IIUC, Vista and later support I/O prioritization,
> and the lowest priority will throttle down to two I/O's a second if
> other I/O is happening.  Or are build slaves already I/O-saturated?

I hadn't considered using a background thread to remove it. During
pulling/update we're I/O-saturated, I'm not sure about during compile.
Implementing this would be very tricky though....the way the build works
is by executing commands serially, so I'm not sure how we'd do this in
parallel with compilation. There's probably a way, but we'd have to be
reasonably sure it's useful to do before diving deeper, I think.