On 8/20/2012 9:25 AM, sebastiang...@gmail.com wrote:
Am Dienstag, 1. Februar 2011 06:16:50 UTC+1 schrieb johnjbarton:
I recall reading some rumors about Components.utils.import being cached
in such a way that devs can't change the source and see changes. Any
truth to this?  Any workaround if true? (Other than the rumored
requirement to change the file names!).

jjb
I can confirm this issue: Using Firefox 14.01 and using utils.import to load
user scripts from the Firefox profile directory does not work as expected:
Changes to the imported files do not take effect after a Firefox restart. I
also tried unload without success:

Components.utils.unload("file://" + filePath);
Components.utils.import("file://" + filePath);

However, sometimes (I cannot reproduce when exactly) after several restarts
Firefox seems to drop the cache and read the file again. I'm curious for any
workaround. It would be cool to reimport a modified file without a restart.
This is a function of the "startup cache" which improves startup performance by cacheing preparsed versions of these files the first time they are parsed to improve future startup times. The startup cache is automatically cleared when Firefox updates to a new version, when the user launches in safe mode, and I believe whenever a non-restartless addon is installed or uninstalled. You can programmatically clear the startup cache using the nsIStartupCache.invalidate() interface; you can also do some other things:

* Use the -purgecaches command line argument or MOZ_PURGE_CACHES=1 environment variable to clear on startup. * set the MOZ_STARTUP_CACHE=/path/to/file environment variable to change what file Firefox uses for the startup cache

--BDS