On 11/1/2012 9:19 PM, Dave Mandelin wrote:
>  (a) How about building Windows with a newer version of MSVC, say 2012? (What
> version are we using now, anyway? The build instructions page says 2010 is
> official, but a tbpl log showed Visual Studio 9.0 on the path.) Maybe they
> have fixed bugs in PGO.

As Ehsan mentioned, we're blocked on switching to 2012 until they sort
out XP support, but that should be in SP1 (which is usually a safe
release to wait for anyway). I'd support switching to 2012SP1 when it is
released.

Microsoft has been pretty good about fixing compiler bugs when we submit
them with test cases. It can be hard to get a useful reproducible
testcase out of a PGO compiler bug, but we should probably try harder to
do so so we have a chance of removing these workarounds in the future.

-Ted