On 12/5/2012 8:07 AM, Benjamin Smedberg wrote:
On 12/3/2012 5:39 PM, Norbert Lindenberg wrote:
OK, just as an introduction, why we're doing this: The ECMAScript Internationalization API (which has been approved by Ecma TC 39 and is on track to become an Ecma standard next week) provides web applications with the ability to format numbers, dates, and times and sort strings according to the rules of the language that the application is using, not the one that browser and OS default to. Many users are multilingual and go to web sites in different languages, and even users who aren't sometimes have to use browsers that don't support their language. The API in addition lets applications tailor the results to their specific needs, e.g., specify the currency with which numbers are displayed, select the date-time components used in a date format, or ignore punctuation in sorting.

To implement that, we need good library support, and ICU fits the bill.
If I may be a skeptic:

Is this feature really worth the costs? Right now xul.dll is about 18MB on Windows, and the entire install size of Firefox on disk is 91MB.
Just an FYI: I suspect that you have a staged update since the size on Windows is actually around 45 MB.

Robert

Assuming that the weight is roughly similar to mac, we'd be talking a 15% increase in on-disk size for a feature which seems on the surface to be relatively obscure. Maybe it would be better to just not implement this EMCA specification? What does this feature really buy us in terms of strategic importance?

How well do the data files compress? Even more important than the installed size, a 15% increase in download size could have a noticeable impact on our install conversion rates.

--BDS