One reason behind this is: what if you were using a font that wasn't free,
but had a license that required you to prevent deep-linking of the font
from other sites to where it's hosted on your site? Firefox and IE give you
a way to do that. Chrome doesn't.

In this case, it's a free font so it doesn't matter, but of course the
browser doesn't know that ... unless you tell us via
Access-Control-Allow-Origin:*.

BTW it's not clear to me why after adding Access-Control-Allow-Origin:*,
you still had problems. I assume it's an arcane detail of Web development
I'm blissfully ignorant of :-).

Rob
--
Jesus called them together and said, “You know that the rulers of the
Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority