On 2013-01-18 11:35 AM, Justin Lebar wrote:
To restate dbaron's argument in my own words:

  1. There is a known issue affecting both beta and aurora nightly builds.

  2. Either the issue is or isn't serious enough to warrant closing the
aurora tree.

  3. If it is serious enough to warrant closing the aurora tree, it
seems unlikely to me that the mere fact that we don't run these tests
on beta nightlies means that it is not serious enough to warrant
closing the beta tree.

  4. If on the other hand it's not serious enough to warrant closing
the beta tree, that indicates we're willing to ship with these
failures, which indicates that perhaps the Aurora tree should not
remain closed.

  5. Therefore we should probably either close both Aurora and Beta or
close neither, unless something other than the fact that we don't run
the relevant tests on Beta mitigates the issue's impact there.

The key point to this argument is that the fact of whether we do or
don't run a given set of tests on the beta tree does not affect the
seriousness of the issue on that tree.

I see. I think your assumption in point #2 above is mistaken. We do not close trees because of the gravity of issues affecting the code base. We do close them when there are busted builds or failing tests because those prevent proper testing of changesets landed on top of them. Since your conclusion (and dbaron's) are based on this incorrect assumption, I don't agree that we should close the Beta tree at this point.

Cheers,
Ehsan