On 3/15/2013 2:33 PM, Gregory Szorc wrote:

I /think/ our current spaghetti configuration is a historical artifact from using Makefile.in's to define the build config combined with the complexity required to do things right.
Yes, I believe you are mostly correct.

With moz.build files, we now have a mechanism to facilitate decentralized declaration of configuration and metadata. For example, instead of defining all preferences in /modules/libpref/src/init/all.js, we could have multiple prefs files each declared through multiple moz.build files. moz.build tree traversal would discover all relevant prefs files and the build code in /modules/libpref would simply concatenate that set of files together. No action outside of your module would be required!
Note that we already started doing this using makefile-fu, see http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/modules/libpref/src/Makefile.in#44 We should definitely continue.

*Also* note that we actually have two different files:

"all.js" is the defaults for the Mozilla platform, including Tbird/Seamonkey and all XULRunner apps. "firefox.js" is where Firefox-specific prefs and overrides typically should live.

--BDS