On 4/23/13 1:17 PM, David Keeler wrote:
I would like to know a bit more about this. Is our list of supported
toolchains so diverse that building with one version versus another will
report so many false positives as to be useless?

Yes. For example a typical clang+ccache build of the tree with fatal warnings will fail unless you jump through deoptimize-ccache hoops, because things like "if (FOO(x))" will warn if FOO(x) expands to "(x == 5)".

For another example msvc until recently didn't actually have warnings as errors enabled at all in many directories, so it didn't matter what you did with your local setup in msvc.

I enabled warnings-as-errors on my local machine after pushing something
to inbound that failed to build because of this, and I've had no
problems since then.

It _really_ depends on the exact compiler and toolchain you're using.

So there are instances where developers didn't use the try servers and
also didn't compile locally at all before pushing to inbound? I don't
think we as a community should be okay with that kind of irresponsible
behavior.

Agreed.

-Boris