howdy,

we'd like to extend bugzilla.mozilla.org to log which channel the reporter's version of firefox is using; however i can't figure out if this information is available to javascript.

i initially thought about using browser/config/version/version.txt based on the version in the user-agent, however this reflects the current default channel, and not necessarily the channel the user's application is using. for example if someone downloads aurora just before the trains leave, and doesn't upgrade before filing a bug, we'd incorrectly think they are using beta.

i'm interested in either the value of app.update.channel, or the value passed to configure via --enable-update-channel.

is this currently available to javascript? if so, how? if not, do you think a request to expose it would be successful?

thanks
--
byron - irc:glob - bugzilla.mozilla.org team -