On 2013-08-20 12:52 PM, Gregory Szorc wrote:
In order to do that we would basically need to build a bug-free
include-what-you-use, and AFAIK nobody has signed up to do that work.
Also note that such a check will only be useful if we adhere to the
principle of using forward-decls where possible throughout the tree,
otherwise there will be thousands of "known" failures.  We're very far
from that right now.

I'm not talking about building a bug-free IWYU: I'm talking about making
the static analyzer be able to quickly identify suboptimal foo. e.g. we
would maintain a list of "please forward declare symbols from jsapi.h."
At compile time if a file includes jsapi.h and only uses symbols from
the "please forward declare" list, then a warning is issued. We can put
the additional checks behind compiler flags/warnings and can ratchet up
the strictness over time. How will this not work?

Yeah, we can probably make it work for a small subset of things, since we wouldn't need to address all imaginable cases for them.

Cheers,
Ehsan