On 8/22/13 7:04 PM, Mark Hammond wrote:
On 21/08/2013 5:36 AM, Gregory Szorc wrote:
Finally, this is just a friendly reminder that if you build
mozilla-central and you don't have a machine with at least 4 *physical*
cores, 16 GB RAM, and an SSD, you should upgrade your hardware.

FTR, my Windows machine has 16GB of ram, 4 physical cores, and both SS
and spinning disks.  A debug clobber build takes 34 minutes on the
spinning disk and 31 on the SSD - so the wins of an SSD on my box aren't
quite as large as I was expecting (I suspect the cores and 16GB of ram
is the most important for me, or maybe it's just that my 12 month old
Intel SSD isn't state-of-the-art anymore)

YMMV :)

The actual memory requirements to ensure a sane build tend to be around the 4-9 GB range. I round up to 16 GB to account for variations over time, ensure headroom for running other services (like VMs), etc. At $~65/8GB, there's really no reason you shouldn't have as much memory as you can in your machine.