On 9/20/2013 4:50 PM, Botond Ballo wrote:
Hi everyone,

The C++ Standards Committee is meeting in Chicago next week. Their focus will
be on C++14, the upcoming version of the C++ standard, as well as some
Technical Specifications (specifications for features intended to be
standardized but not fully-baked enough to be standardized now) that are also
planned for publication in 2014. Presumably there will also be some discussion
of the following version of the standard, C++17.

I will attend this meeting as an observer. I intend to follow the progress of
the Concepts Lite proposal [1] which I'm particularly interested in, but I will
try to keep up with other goings-on as well (the committee splits up into
several sub-groups that meet in parallel over the course of the week).

I wanted to ask if there's anything anyone would like to know about the
upcoming standards that I could find out at the meeting - if so, please let me
know and I will do my best to find it out.

I have a laundry list of stuff that I want a fly-on-the-wall perspective.

First is the discussion of the standardization support macros (so we don't have to maintain crummy stuff like mfbt/Compiler.h), although that meeting may have already passed.

I'm also interested in seeing proposals for standardization of more complex attributes that we have static analysis results for--in particular, the stack class/heap class/etc. annotations, the must_override analysis, and expanding override/must_override to refer to nonvirtual as well as virtual methods.

The implementation timeframe of modules is also interesting, since it appears to be the best-proposed solution to solving various #include problems.

The new threading paradigms (MS is proposing an async/await framework that basically plays out like the |yield| keyword in JS or python) could also prove useful for Mozilla.

Finally, I'm interested in seeing what APIs are going to come out of the networking and filesystem TS groups, particularly because trying to track down progress on them is maddening.

--
Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer