On 10/11/13 7:42 PM, Zack Weinberg wrote:
On 2013-10-11 1:08 PM, Ralph Giles wrote:
On 2013-10-10 12:28 PM, Steve Fink wrote:

It seems like the optimal efficiency vs surface exposure vs frequency
of use tradeoff would be to do everything but the top formats (JPG,
PNG, GIF?) in JS.

That's what we do today. We support those three image formats with
native code, and others can be supported by a js implementation, which
anyone can write.

*Can* anyone, though?

From an extension, to be clear.

As in, an extension can implement an image decoder for a new image format, and imagelib will use it. All the rest of the image-loading stuff will work as it already does and be handled by Gecko.

Doing that sort of thing from untrusted script is obviously a different question altogether...

-Boris