----- Original Message -----
> How common are the blocking API calls? Can we somehow predict whether
> the SWF will need that, and optionally use a worker/non-worker context
> based on that?

Fairly common: many SWFs use ExternalInterface at least once, and even more use
BitmapData#draw, which allows synchronously rendering arbitrary parts of the
display list into a buffer. And no, we can't predict if either functionality is
used. At least not with 100% accuracy, which we'd need to make decisions about
which kind of context to create based on it.

Additionally, we'd need to do a full-SWF analysis for any analysis whatsoever.
Which we can't in the general case, because SWF is a streaming format that can
display already-loaded content while other parts are still loading.

> We can do whatever we like in Gecko, but I'd imagine that any proposal
> to allow blocking on a worker will meet significant resistance in the
> WG (which is, IMO, justified).

Nobody's proposing to expose any of this to web content. The question is
whether we want to fully expose it as an official capability of Gecko, to be
used by other parts of the browser and maybe even addons, or if we want to go
to some lengths to hide it as best as we can.