On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Benjamin Smedberg
<benja...@smedbergs.us> wrote:
> Do we need this data for any language other than the language Firefox ships
> in? Can we just include the relevant language data in each localized build
> of Firefox, and allow users to get other language data via downloadable
> language packs, similarly to how dictionaries are handled?

My understanding is that web content should not be able to tell which
locale the browser is configured to use, for privacy (fingerprinting)
reasons. If we went the route suggested above, it would be easy to
figure out, for many users, which locale he/she is using.

> I am still working to get better number to quantify the costs in terms of
> lost adoption for additional download weight.

My (naive) understanding is that the Windows has its own API that does
what ICU does. I believe that Internet Explorer 11 is an existence
proof of that. If we used the Windows API on Windows, maybe we could
avoid building ICU altogether on Windows. Since that accounts to 90+%
of our users, that would almost make it "problem solved" all on its
own even if we did nothing else.

Cheers,
Brian
--
Mozilla Networking/Crypto/Security (Necko/NSS/PSM)