On 11/21/13 8:56 PM, Jed Davis wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 05:41:27PM -0500, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> On 11/21/13 3:15 PM, Gavin Sharp wrote:
>>> It would be good to explore alternatives to Bonsai.
>>> https://github.com/mozilla/mozilla-central is supposed to have full
>>> CVS history, right?

We're planning on moving to https://github.com/mozilla/gecko-dev in this
quarter.

>> Hmm.  Where in there is the equivalent of
>> http://bonsai.mozilla.org/cvsblame.cgi?file=mozilla%2Flayout%2Fhtml%2Fforms%2Fsrc%2FAttic%2FnsGfxTextControlFrame2.cpp&rev=&cvsroot=%2Fcvsroot
>> ?
>>
>> Granted, getting there in bonsai is a pain too, but that's what you
>> have to do to get blame across file moves/deletes in CVS...
>>
> I had to cheat somewhat, because git doesn't have an "Attic", and...
> um, are we sure our CVS-to-Git conversion is entirely correct?  I'm seeing
> nsGfxTextControlFrame2.{cpp,h} being deleted in commit 252470c83 (bug 129909),
> but also that they were replaced by empty files in commit ec1abf4d5 (bug
> 88049)
> which seems wrong given a quick glance through the bug.

I'm not seeing this in gecko-dev; can you find this same issue in that repo?

> Anyway, having cheated and used bonsai to see the commit message for
> the deletion to help find the commits mentioned above (am I missing
> something, or does git-rev-parse not let you search for "touched this
> path"?), I can do this:

git log --grep 129909
requires knowing the bug number (or some other part of the commit
message), but doesn't require knowing the file path, and a |git show
<rev>| then shows the diff with file paths.

git log -- layout/html/forms/src/nsGfxTextControlFrame2.cpp
requires knowing the original file path, but doesn't require knowing the
bug number / commit message.

The second command gives me revision
9b33dcc62e6dc53a80e12c3e3d9f911b72f4ddce for bug 88049 that you
mentioned above; a |git show 9b33dcc62e6dc53a80e12c3e3d9f911b72f4ddce|
doesn't replace them with empty files, as far as I can tell.

>   git blame 'ec1abf4d5^' -- layout/html/forms/src/nsGfxTextControlFrame2.cpp

This is |git blame 9b33dcc62e6dc53a80e12c3e3d9f911b72f4ddce^ --
layout/html/forms/src/nsGfxTextControlFrame2.cpp| in gecko-dev.

> and there's the blame (as of the first parent of ec1abf4d5, which is the
> last revision where the file exists and is non-empty).  Or, on the web:
>

> https://github.com/mozilla/mozilla-central/blame/ec1abf4d5^/layout/html/forms/src/nsGfxTextControlFrame2.cpp

The equivalent here would be:
https://github.com/mozilla/gecko-dev/blame/9b33dcc62e6dc53a80e12c3e3d9f911b72f4ddce^/layout/html/forms/src/nsGfxTextControlFrame2.cpp

aki