On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 1:55 PM, David Rajchenbach-Teller <
dtel...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On 11/28/13 1:33 PM, Till Schneidereit wrote:
> > This would all be tackled after we did other things like getting rid
> > of all history entries for iframes, which won't be restored in any
> > case, right?
>
> We're not sure about the relative priorities of this cleanup vs.
> removing the history entries for dynamic iframes that cannot be
> restored. That will probably depend on the results of bug 942340.

Except if it's *much* more effort to reduce the amount of stored data
that's simply useless, it seems to me that it's strictly preferable to do
that regardless of the telemetry results.

> > As a concrete example, I start writing my Status Board[1] entries during
> > the week, and only send them off on Mondays. If we were to get rid of
> > form data after some period of time, I couldn't do this anymore. Even
> > worse: I might not know when exactly form data is discarded, so it'd
> > *seem* to work just fine for a while, and I might invest quite some time
> > in writing my update, only to lose it all of a sudden because Firefox
> > decided that I don't need this data anymore.
>
> Good point. If we head in this direction, we definitely need to mark
> that data (form, POST or DOM storage) as unneeded only if the tab hasn't
> been active at all during the interval. Also, I was thinking of a time
> to live of at least 1 week, but I'm willing to make it 1 month. The key
> idea is to make sure that data eventually disappears, rather than
> staying forever.

Maybe the size of that data could also be a factor? Removing one or a few
short strings will probably not save much data, whereas removing, say, a
large image from POST data most certainly will.

> > Similar scenarios can probably be thought up/occur for 4 and 5, too.
> >
> > As for 3, we could maybe gradually get rid of entries, oldest first. So
> > it wouldn't be a hard cut-off, but a gradual loss of entries which are
> > less and less likely to be of interest, anyway.
>
> That was the idea, yes.

Cool.