With the profiler' IO tracking feature we have a few options:

We match certain signatures after the data is collected.
+ Doesn't require changes to gecko, adjustments are cheap
- Matching signatures can be tricky/unreliable

We instrumented gecko to allow IO between two calls
+ Similar to shutdown write poisoning, more reliable
+ Can benefit other tools instead of just the profiler
- Requires patching gecko to any time we need to adjust this.