On 3/21/2014 2:46 AM, Nicholas Nethercote wrote:
Hi,

At start-up, with a new profile, Firefox creates more than 230 system
compartments. This is about 90 more than a year ago, and it's part of
the reason why Firefox uses almost twice as much physical memory at
start-up than it did two years ago. (Have a look at
https://areweslimyet.com/ for the measurements.)

What is the per-compartment overhead?

It seems like we have two possible solutions in general:

* stop doing so much at startup/make sure feature code is only loaded when the feature is used * combine things that are currently in multiple compartments together into one compartment. Perhaps some manual combination of .jsms into a smaller number of compartments similar to what B2G does?

I recently filed bug 982623 which might be able to help somewhat. Currently many frontend features are primarily written as a .jsm, but have a separate XPCOM component so that they can register for startup/profile/update-timer notifications. With that patch we should at least be able to get rid of the separate XPCOM component and only use the .jsm.

I suspect that you'll have more luck if you direct questions or recommendations to specific module owners/teams based on this list.

--BDS