Hi!

As you want to get rid of all plugins (NPAPI), you say: "If there are
plugin features which are not available in the web platform, we encourage
developers to post their use cases to mozilla.dev.platform project list”.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/Plugins

We have such a feature: We currently use a plugin to detect whether one of
our applications is installed and then launch it via iframe. This will no
longer be possible without plugins, while providing a good user experience.

My colleague Ben is currently proposing this API to public-weba...@w3.org,
modeled after Win8/IE11’s navigator.msLaunchUri:
http://bengjohnson.github.io/ExternalProtocolSpecification.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2014JanMar/0791.html

msLaunchUri MSDN docs:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/jj154912(v=vs.85).aspx

Would you consider such an API for Firefox?

Cheers,
Kosta

PS: Sorry for the long signature...
--
Konstantin Welke
Senior Software Developer

Work better. Live better.
Citrix Online Germany GmbH | Erzbergerstr. 117 | D-76133 Karlsruhe
Geschäftsführer: Tommy Ahlers | Michael DiFilippo | David Zalewski
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Karlsruhe | Registergericht: Amtsgericht Mannheim
HRB 713721
Citrix Online UK Ltd <http://www.citrixonline.com/imprint-en.tmpl>