On 04/01/2014 02:32 PM, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
> What do people feel about my proposal?  Do you think it improves writing
> and reviewing thread safe code to be less error prone?

As I said in the bug, not particularly.  I don't think you can program with
atomics in any sort of brain-off way, and I don't think the boilerplate
difference of += versus fetch-and-add or whatever really affects that.  To the
extent things should be done differently, it should be that *template*
functions that deal with atomic/non-atomic versions of the same algorithm
deserve extra review and special care, and perhaps even should be implemented
twice, rather than sharing a single implementation.  And I think the cases in
question here are flavors of approximately a single issue, and we do not have a
fundamental problem here to be solved by making the API more obtuse in practice.

Jeff