On Thursday, April 17, 2014 10:18:01 AM UTC-4, Gervase Markham wrote:
> > The good news is that with the preview release of the latest SDK,
> > they added a C API that does everything that we need.  So this might
> > become a moot point; we can dlopen/dlsym our way to victory, and I'm
> > already reworking the code that I have in terms of that.
> >
> > We'll have to build and package the DLLs for all the platforms for
> > nightly builds, but that's not a huge deal.
>
> At the risk of sounding like a broken record: shipping not-open-source
> code in Firefox nightly builds is a big deal. As Mike says, can't we
> just go for an addon at this point, while we work on the open source
> replacement code? How many Rifts are there in the world right now anyway?

An addon is not sufficient to get the strategic and mindshare benefits of VR
support.

There are around 60,000 Rift DK1 units in the world today, with 25,000 of the
DK2 units having been preordered as of yesterday.  So around 85,000 total in a
month or two. The units cost $350 each, well within the reach of many
bleeding-edge consumers, despite it not being a commercial unit yet -- they are
not a $1500 piece of hardware as you mentioned before.  These are virtually all
in the hands of tech leaders and innovators; and I mean leaders in the sense of
"people in their family who others will go to for help with their computer".

These 85,000 people are the very people who likely used to be Firefox fans and
are now firmly in the Chrome camp.  I want to win them back.

     - Vlad