On Tue, 6 May 2014, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 8:13 AM, Ian Hickson <i...@hixie.ch> wrote:
> >
> > drawFocusIfNeeded() isn't a particularly good name either, since
> > you're not drawing the focus, you're drawing the focus ring.
>
> In the old email thread, Jatinder Mann objected to using the term "ring"
> since the focus drawn might not look like a ring.

"Focus ring" is the term of art, regardless of its shape (I don't think
I've ever seen one that actually looks like a ring... usually it's a
rectangle, maybe rounded on Mac OS, though in modern days on most
platforms it's usually an outline of whatever the icon is). Sometimes the
"ring" is actually just a background or highlight.

> We could probably come up with a slightly better name, but only very
> slightly better, so at this point I would rather not reopen the
> discussion. If someone else wants to, that's up to them.

There hasn't been a discussion at all, so far.

Right now the spec says it's "drawSystemFocusRing()" and
"drawCustomFocusRing()", because there hasn't been a request to change it.
I guess if y'all ship "drawFocusIfNeeded()" then that will de facto set
one of the methods to the new name.