On 16/5/14 14:37, Kyle Huey wrote:
On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 6:30 AM, Curtis Koenig <curt...@mozilla.com> wrote:

On 16 May, 2014, at 09:11 AM, Tim Taubert <ttaub...@mozilla.com> wrote:

I think it really might make sense to remove the
preferences altogether

Given our stance on privacy[1] and commitment to Real Choices, Sensible
Settings and User Control; I don’t believe removing the users ability to
control this preference would be a positive move. David’s point is more correct
in that we need to be careful as to how the preference is exposed. We could
also do something very innovative in this case like what is done with do not
track. We could default to allowing all requests (which would honor the spec)
but allow the users to change the pref to 2 other states. One being only allow
pings from the sites I specify and the final one being don’t allow any at all.
With accompanying text that explains the tradeoffs/benefits/pain of each
setting. This would help us both keep inline with the goal of Hyperlink
Auditing and balance our stance on privacy.

[1] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Privacy/Principles
--
Curtis

The point being made is that the preference is not a real choice.  If
you disable this feature you can still be tracked in the exact same
way by methods that exist today and are not covered by the preference.

Yes; but the methods being used by at (least some major) sites are visible to the user, which makes them less insidious than an invisible-by-design tracking feature.

If we implement <a ping>, and make it on-by-default (but with a user preference to turn it off), we can reasonably expect sites to use this as their tracking method in place of redirects, etc. And if they hten detect (can they?) that the user has turned off pings and fall back to other methods to track the user - who by disabling it has expressed a desire not to be tracked - this puts them in much the same category as those who decide to stop honoring Do Not Track.

We can't force sites to honor DNT, and we can't prevent them working around user-disabled <a ping>. But in both cases we can and should (IMO) provide a simple means for the user to express a wish about tracking. Respectable sites will interoperate nicely with it; those that decide to circumvent it should be publicly shamed.

JK