On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 9:33 AM, Steve Fink <sf...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On Wed 21 May 2014 08:42:28 AM PDT, Ryan VanderMeulen wrote:
> > Level 1 - Try/User/Incubator Access
> > Because this is all it gives, this sort of access can be given out
> generously to anyone who would find it convenient when helping us or
> working on a developer's personal project, without worrying about them
> affecting core code. In other words, the target audience for this sort of
> access might be defined as "friends of and collaborators with Mozilla".
> >
> > At least to me, that reads as "vouch early and vouch often!". Something
> something...teach a man to fish...something something... :)
>
> I think the quote you're looking for is, "if you teach a man to fish,
> you'd better teach him how to gut and clean the fish at the same time."
> Otherwise you'll be forever stuck doing it for him.

Is it really the most effective learning experience and use of everyone's
time to make first-patch contributors get set up with try access?

I try to mentor as many bugs as possible. My ideal workflow would be to
grant r+, suggest a try: string, and set checkin-needed in a single act,
without having to determine whether the contributor has try access and/or
editbugs. If we already have people scanning for checkin-needed and looking
for try pushes, it seems pretty logical to have them just trigger any
missing pushes.

bholley