On 30.05.2014 07:28, Matt Woodrow wrote:
I definitely agree with this, but we also need OMTAnimations to be
finished and enabled before any of the interesting parts of the UI can
be converted.

Given that, I don't think we can have this conversation at the expense
of trying to fix the current set of regressions from OMTC.

Even if off-main-thread animations worked and we somehow re-designed and re-implemented the tab strip today, this still wouldn't wipe away the gist of the regressions, which really isn't about the tab strip. The tab strip uses web technology or derivative thereof (XUL flexbox, but I guess that's not at fault here...). Telling web developers that they should only ever animate transforms / opacity or use canvas is a flawed strategy when Gecko performs worse than it used to and/or worse than other engines on animations involving reflows.