On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 6:08 PM, Jonas Sicking <jo...@sicking.cc> wrote:

> A long time ago we talked about just writing a very low-level USB API,
> then enabling signed snippets of javascript to create page-exposed
> APIs on top of that. This way we wouldn't have to go through the long
> and expensive process of standardizing and implementing APIs for
> everything that can be plugged into a USB port.
>

> These signed snippets of javascripts wouldn't need to be installed by
> the user, but could be linked to by the page that wants to use the
> API. It would however need to be signed by all browser vendors that
> are interested in making the library work.

The line between this and actually standardizing an API seems thin. This
approach might save time up front, but it would generate browser vendor
security work vetting every USB-wrapping JS library --- and every bugfix to
every such library. If there were more than a few in any given domain, it
definitely wouldn't be worth it. So you'd want to minimize the number of
different libraries. In fact it might be a good idea to standardize on one.
Then we could ship it with the browser. Oh wait...

Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w