Google docs is a very good use case, In a previous job I implemented a web
based spreadsheet and we also had to implement our own contextmenu and
surpress the default because of the way that it conflicts.

Its a catch 22, applications will continue to hijack the default menu
unless the functionality is improved, but the functionality wont improve if
nobody is using it.

However thinking about the use case that was presented for us on Firefox
OS, I am not entirely convinced that we need to surpress the default
context menu items, I think we can provide better UX that doesnt leave the
user with too many + confusing options so I have asked Jonas about closing
the bug that was opened to implement this.