On 7/7/2014 3:21 PM, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
> We should keep in mind that sometimes due to startup crashes, we don't
> get to run any of the code in Firefox, so we can't gate the crash
> report submission on that code at least in the case of startup crashes.

I believe this was the primary reasoning behind the current
implementation (it's been a while, I'm a little fuzzy). We need to
handle startup crashes, so we need the native crashreporter UI
regardless of whether we build an in-product crash reporting UI. At the
time, spending the effort to build one UI certainly made more sense than
building two. It might make sense to look into redesigning the UX
nowadays to do crash reporting inside the Firefox UI when possible. This
is essentially what we do on Firefox OS, so we already have all the code
available to do it. We'd need to have fallback paths to use the native
reporter when we're crashing on startup, and possibly change the
crashreporter UI to indicate that it's appearing because we can't start
Firefox.

It's also worth noting that our behavior matches the behavior of
existing OS platform crash reporters--on all the OSes I'm aware of
there's a dialog similar to our own, so it's not an unfamiliar workflow
to users. That being said the crashreporter UX is essentially unchanged
from what we shipped in Firefox 3.0, so there's certainly room for
improvement!

-Ted