Since forever Jetpack tests in the Firefox trees have been run using our
custom python CFX tool which is based on a fork of an ancient version of
mozrunner. This causes us a number of problems. Keeping up with tree
visibility rules is hard. Some features from newer versions of mozrunner
like crash stack handling aren't available and our attempts to update to
the newer mozbase have been blocked on trying to get some of our forked
code accepted. It also makes it hard for Mozilla other developers to run
our tests as CFX has a very different syntax to the other test suites.

We've started investigating switching away from CFX and instead using the
python automation that the mochitests use. This would work somewhat
similarly to browser-chrome tests, runtests.py will startup Firefox and
overlay some XUL and JS on the main window from where we can run the
existing JS parts of the Jetpack test suites.

There are many benefits here. The runtests.py code is well used and known
to be resilient. It supports things like screenshots on failures and crash
stacks that Jetpack tests don't currently handle. We'll use manifest files
like the other test suites so disabling tests per platform will be easy.
Excellent mach integration will make running individual tests simple. It
also makes it possible to use commonjs style tests elsewhere in the tree.
Release engineering should find managing the Jetpack tests a lot easier as
they behave just like other mochitests.

My initial experiment last week shows that this will work. The first part
of our tests (package tests) is running and passing on my local machine and
I expect to have the add-on tests working this week.

I wanted to give everyone a heads up about this work to give you all a
chance to ask questions or raise objections. The changes to runtests and
the build system are minimal, just adding support for new manifest types
really but I will be needing reviews for those. We'll also have to make the
buildbot changes to switch over to use these new tests but I expect that to
be pretty straightforward.