On 08/14/2014 10:57 AM, Chris Peterson wrote:
> Does chrome and add-on JS code default to JSVERSION_1_8?

It defaults to the latest version, whatever that is, so warning doesn't end up
being reasonable.

I do not think the SpiderMonkey team is smart enough to have implemented both
the old semantics, and the new ones, side-by-side; supporting both; and
understanding both sufficiently well to flag all the pitfalls and issues of
having both modes, when reviewing patches.  Double the fuzzing to support both
modes of operation is also entirely unappealing, from an
infrastructure/fuzzer-people-hours point of view.  And I don't think developers
(particularly ones straddling both sides) are going to have much fun at all
dealing with these semantic differences as 'let' moves onto the web.

I think our best bet is probably to evangelize the change hard, update AMO
linters to flag the issue, and (gulp) wait for, and assist wherever possible,
addon authors to update their code.  Part #1, shouldn't be too bad because
they're syntax errors easily observed (and linted by AMO scripts).  Part #2 is
harder, but 1) it's probably somewhat uncommon to use/assign 'let' before
declaration, and 2) the *potential* for problems is still syntactically
recognizable by AMO linters, which can forward concerns to AMO reviewers and
addon authors.

We've made quite breaking changes to chrome JS before, and addons have adapted.
 We can make this one as well.  It'll just take some effort from everyone to
make it happen.

Jeff