I completely agree with Jeff Gilbert on this one.

I think we should try to coalesce -better-. I just checked the current
state of mozilla-inbound and it doesn't feel any of the current patch
really need their own set of tests because they're are not time
sensitive or sufficiently complex. Right now developers are asked to
create bugs for their own change with their own patch. This leads to a
lot of little patches being landed by individual developers which
seems to reflect the current state of mozilla-inbound.

Perhaps we should instead promote checkin-needed (or a similar simple)
to coalesce simple changes together. Opting into this means that your
patch may take significantly longer to get merged if it's landed with
another bad patch and should only be used when that's acceptable.
Right now developers with commit access are not encouraged to make use
of checkin-needed AFAIK. If we started recommending against individual
landings for simple changes, and improved the process, we could
probably significantly cut the number of tests jobs by cutting the
number of pushes.