On 2014-08-20, 10:50 AM, David Rajchenbach-Teller wrote:
TL;DR

I'm looking for:
1. an API to open a XUL window but keep it invisible;

You should be able to show/hide windows using nsIWidget::Show.

2. an API to make an invisible XUL window visible, but behind the
currently active window;

The visibility can be controlled as per above. The ordering can be controlled using nsIWidget::PlaceBehind.

3. an API to open a XUL window but keep it in the background.

Again, PlaceBehind is what you want, I think.

Note that none of these APIs can open the window for you, you need to open it yourself, get the widget for the window and then perform these operations. Also, note that I just looked at the code to find out these answers, and I have not tested them myself, so please take this with a grain of salt.

Cheers,
Ehsan