On 15/08/2014 12:55, Paolo Amadini wrote:
The major change would be the removal of the multiple search sources
from the autocomplete code, since this feature is used heavily by
Thunderbird. For Firefox, we already developed the UnifiedComplete
component that replaces the multiple searches in the location bar, but a
similar work would be required for Thunderbird.

So if I understand you right, we could switch to UnifiedComplete if we want to maintain multiple search sources (whilst using toolkit code)?

*Proposal*

Since I believe the amount of work and testing required in Thunderbird
to keep up with the changes could be non-trivial, my suggestion would
be to fork the current version of the autocomplete code from Toolkit to
the comm-central repository. The autocomplete code itself does not
depend on other components, and "pinning" the current version in
Thunderbird would make it easier to keep up with the planned rapid
development. Any wanted changes could then be imported as needed.

That sounds like a reasonable plan. Its kinda ironic that we've recently moved Thunderbird off the xpfe version to the toolkit one, but can't be helped.

In the meantime it keeps us stable - there's potentially possibilities what we do, switch to UnifiedComplete or rewrite the address book (which has been on the plans for a while now).

Mark.