On 9/24/14 10:38 AM, Fitzgerald, Nick wrote:
Hey folks,

We already have the protobuf library in the tree, and it seems to be
used for layer scope and webrtc.

I'd like to use it for serializing heap snapshots in devtools code, but
I have a couple questions:

* How do I integrate the compilation of the message description (.proto
file) into C source files with the build system? I'm not even sure if
layer scope and webrtc integrate this with the build system, or if the
just do it manually and check in the resulting files. I wasn't able to
determine by glancing over the moz.build files.

* Are there any other moz.build hoops I need to jump through to use
protobufs from within toolkit/devtools?

We would probably add some moz.build magic for declaring .proto files that we wish to turn into C++ files. This is conceptually similar to declaring IDL files.

A build peer should be able to assist you. Drop in #build if this ever materializes.