On 10/02/2014 11:59 AM, ISHIKAWA,chiaki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was looking at a large number of JavaScript (strict) warnings, and
> errors from the recording of |make mozmill| test run of locall-built
> DEBUG BUILD of TB last several days after a refresh of C-C source tree.
>
> The number of such has increased very much both
>  - due to the seemingly stricter checks done by JS infrastructure, and
>  - new carelessly written code,
> I think.

Did you compare the count from a while ago to the count today? I was
kind of assuming that we've always had lots of these.

> But the sheer number of them overwhelmed me and I began wondering is FF
> faring better?
>
> I don't think so.

No. It's awful. I wasted a couple of hours the other day on similar
errors in xpcshell-test. I couldn't believe that such serious-sounding
errors could have existed before my patch, but eventually discovered
that they did.

> I think we need a sort of "sheriff" to look at
> these warnings and file bugzilla entries accordingly from time to time:
> I say this because it seems not many people look at debug build run of
> test suite often (well, at least on TB side. I don't know if TB debug
> run is created regularly.)

Yeah, it seems nobody looks at it. Except when some random developer
happens to break a test, and tries to figure out what warnings/errors
are real and what are expected noise. It's pretty awful.

Then again, we can't get people to fix intermittent test failures, and
instead disable tests frequently. So finding such a sheriff is going to
be... "challenging". The understanding of many of these warnings tends
to be specific to very localized parts of the codebase, so a single
sheriff would need to pester a lot of people.

Or not -- actually, a lot of these are probably easily solvable. If
someone were willing to triage, they could probably at least cut down
the number by quite a bit if they were willing to ignore the harder ones.

> These references to undefined whatever seem to have appeared suddenly
> thanks to
> the stricter checking of JS infrastructure.

I wonder if that is a side effect of the 'let' TDZ (temporal dead zone)
changes.